Author Topic: MB3/ESS with power supply  (Read 241 times)

Offline John_Hancock

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
MB3/ESS with power supply
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:58:18 PM »
Hello,

I recently bought an MB3/ESS and am powering it with a 24VDC/6Amp power supply. The LED for the MB3 boards however will not turn on. I checked that there is no reverse polarity incident, and the Fuse F1 is not blown. I am using 18 gauge wire, and have ensured that 24 Volts is being transmitted into the wires at the ends. The ESS has all three 3 jumpers closed, so there shouldn't be any issues, but nothing will turn on or receive power.

Any input would be really helpful,

John

Offline Weerasak

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1466
  • -Receive: 3745
Re: MB3/ESS with power supply
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »
Hello,

I recently bought an MB3/ESS and am powering it with a 24VDC/6Amp power supply. The LED for the MB3 boards however will not turn on. I checked that there is no reverse polarity incident, and the Fuse F1 is not blown. I am using 18 gauge wire, and have ensured that 24 Volts is being transmitted into the wires at the ends. The ESS has all three 3 jumpers closed, so there shouldn't be any issues, but nothing will turn on or receive power.

Any input would be really helpful,

John

Hi John,

Is there any LED status light up. Can you take a photo while powering on?
if possible, please attach voltmeter leads to 24v, 0v main input terminal as well. So I can see voltage level as well.
Sometimes, the power supply can be dead out of the box.

Thanks,
Weerasak

Offline John_Hancock

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 11:39:04 PM »
Hi Weerasak,

Unfortunately there is no LED light up, I'm attaching the picture you requested below.

https://imgur.com/uPWYXK3

Thanks,

-John

Offline Weerasak

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 11:58:19 PM »
Hi John,
Thanks for the photo.
It is possible that fuse F1 already Blown up. that is why there is no light at 24v LED status. So please check the fuse with ohm meter.

Offline John_Hancock

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:41 AM »
Hi Weerasak,

Do I need to remove the fuse, or is it fine to check it while its on the MB3 Board?

Also if the fuse is blown, what do I need to do to make the board still receive power?

Thanks,

-John

Offline Weerasak

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 10:29:15 AM »
Hi Weerasak,

Do I need to remove the fuse, or is it fine to check it while its on the MB3 Board?

Also if the fuse is blown, what do I need to do to make the board still receive power?

Thanks,

-John
Hi John,

Nope, it doesn't need to remove the fuse from the board. First, setting your multimeter to continuity test mode then measure across two metal of the fuse. if there is no sound from multimeter it means that the fuse was blown out.

You can use tiny hair size copper wire solder across two metal then keep using it until you can find a new proper fuse to replace it.
or solder it with thick copper wire then use an external fuse series connect with the 24v terminal.

There are two cases to activate MB3 protection mechanism. (1) overvoltage or surge voltage appears on the 24v input terminal. (2) the wrong reverse polarity connection between 24V and 0V input terminal. The fuse F1 can withstand power current up to 5 Amp.

If switching power supply lower than 5 Amp being used with MB3 board. the power supply will stop working when MB3 protection circuit is activated. However, if power supply larger than 5 Amp, it will blow up the fuse.

Offline John_Hancock

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
Hi Weerasak,

Okay, but my power supply shouldn't be an issue as long as there is no reverse polarity incident correct? Because my power supply is a 24VDC/6Amp output.

Also I checked the Fuse F1, and it seems to be blown. Is there a specific brand for the fuse that you recommend to replace? Or is any 5 amp fuse okay for an external fuse?

Thanks again for all your help,

-John

Offline Weerasak

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »
Hi John,
The rated 6 Amp or higher is not a problem as long as no incidents mentioned above.

The detail of this fuse here below.

Brand: Littelfuse
Part number: 0451005.MRL

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/littelfuse-inc/0451005.MRL/F2587CT-ND/813065